ANNOUNCEMENT

ANNOUNCEMENT

Double Dorans has a new home!

I've shifted my focus back over to game analysis and breakdowns as well as starting a page for champion tips and tricks!

If you wish to show continued support to myself and Double Dorans you can check out the new website over at

doubledorans.weebly.com

or follow me on Twitter @DDMourgus

Thank you for your support and happy summoning!

Wednesday 8 January 2014

[RANT] Doran's Shield

Alright, here's the deal.
I love what they've done with supports this season although I'm kinda iffy on the jungle changes while mid-lane and AD carry haven't changed drastically, just slight shifts.
What I have problems with is top-lane.
Ever since Doran's Shield was reduced in gold with the June 13th 2013 patch(the release of Aatrox) farming/splitpushing top-laners with weaker early games have received a massive buff. None more so than Nasus due to his innate lifesteal being able to keep him in lane and farming much longer than he should.
Nowadays, the only hard counters to most sustain based top-laners is either an AP top like Rumble or Vladimir or going with an AD caster like Pantheon or Renekton who don't focus on auto-attacks.
This wouldn't really bother me so much if the champions that buy Doran's Shield weren't complete monsters late-game. If a game goes longer than 10 minutes without Nasus dying or losing his tower, you're pretty much screwed. If Volibear receives the same treatment, you're going to have an AoE monster of a frontline coming your way. Shyvana just doesn't care about damage by the time she gets her ultimate.

Truth be told, none of this would really bother me if it weren't for the fact that this was only really possibly in Season 3(from a solo-queue perspective) since Pre-Season 4 patch hit, we've been having consistently longer games which only make these farming late-game top-laners even stronger.
Although Nasus and Shyvana are already really strong and Olaf is situationally powerful, I honestly don't believe any of these champions need a serious nerf.
All I ask for is to remove one of two things from Doran's Shield. Either remove it's damage block so more sustained poke champions can be viable top-lane again(think Nidalee, Gangplank, etc.) or remove it's health regen so you're not blocking all that damage to just heal most of it up by standing behind your minions.

The same applies to mid-laners.
As you may have seen in my first blog post, I love the idea of an AD carry mid and it's awesome. Until an enemy buys Doran's Shield and then it's a massive pain in the arse.

Now, if you're thinking 'Well, that's been since June of last year, why is it such a big a deal now?'
The answer is because of the mastery changes. For the defence tree, it's easier to block a large amount of damage from enemies without follow too far down the tree and you'll get some nice health thrown in as well for a simple 9 points. Now, if you want to go even further down the tree, we start getting masteries that increases your health regeneration and general sustain while below a certain health threshold and increased armour and magic resistance while there are multiple champions nearby.

I love Doran's Shield, it's a great item, but I think it's just too much of a good thing... I also want to be able to play Nidalee top again and deal more than 10 damage to someone with auto-attacks.
I swear I'm not bitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment